The 7 Most Groundbreaking Slots of All Time
The video slot industry witnesses thousands of new entries per year. Not all of them make it to the proverbial Hall of Fame. Some titles, however, remain immortal for years since release. In this list, we round up seven of the most influential video slot titles that are relevant to this day, often serving as inspiration for modern titles.
7 Influential Video Slots That are Still Popular Today
- Gonzo’s Quest, NetEnt – We cannot start this list without mentioning what is perhaps the most influential video slot today. Launched in 2011, Gonzo’s Quest is still going strong. The title flaunts a 5-reel grid with 20 paylines and flaunts bonuses like Free Falls, multipliers, and Avalanche Reels. The cascading wins feature is the title’s highlight and helps amplify the stake.
- Jack and the Beanstalk, NetEnt – Although 3D slots have been around for a while now, few are as well-designed as the NetEnt classic. The fairytale-themed game flaunts an intro film with slick animations portraying the protagonist’s journey out of the giant’s layer as he steals the golden eggs. Jack and the Beanstalk was NetEnt’s first title to feature Walking Wilds and boasted experimental VR.
- The Incredible Hulk, Playtech – Released in the mid-2000s, Playtech’s The Incredible Hulk was created in partnership with Marvel Studios. The series also included popular titles like X-Men, Iron Man, and The Fantastic Four, although none became as popular as The Incredible Hulk. After Disney took over the franchise, Playtech kept the slots series intact by renaming it Age of the Gods.
- Mega Moolah, Microgaming – Microgaming’s Mega Moolah is the OG of video slots. Launched in 2009 around a time when the developers were celebrating the launch of their 400th slot release. The title flaunts a simple 5-reel 15-payline grid and offers bonuses like wilds, free spins, and progressive jackpots. The latter in fact is one of the game’s highlights as there are four separate jackpots to be won.
- Thunderstruck, Microgaming – Launched in the early 2000s, the Norse-themed video slot was one of Microgaming’s initial successes. Despite the studio launching a successor amidst much-hype, players prefer the original title. Sporting 4-reels and 9-paylines, players can trigger free spins by landing between three and five scatters. Thor appears as the Wild and replaces all standard symbols to amplify the winning combination.
- Tomb Raider, Microgaming – Launched back in 2005, Tomb Raider was among the first branded video slot titles. Sporting 5-reels and 15-paylines, the game offered bonuses like free spins with multipliers and the Tomb Bonus round. Although Microgaming launched several sequels, the original remains a crowd favorite.
- Cash Splash 5-Reel, Microgaming – Launched in 1995, Cash Splash arrived long before the concept of progressive wins was conceived. Although the original 3-reel version was the first to launch, it was the subsequent 5-reel version that gained a strong following with the punters.
If you liked this story and would like to try your hands at online gambling, follow the link to the best online lottery sites in your region.